Some builders will actually set the octave string holes in the bridge down a
little lower, closer to the soundboard by a fraction of a millimeter; never
tried one of those lutes although seen a few- I've done the pushing and tugging
bit and gotten a little more control, it does feel better to the touch- with
the thumb especially for me.

Dan