De : lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] De la part
de Mathias Rösel
Envoyé : mardi 27 mars 2012 16:04
À : 'Martyn Hodgson'
Cc : 'Lute List'
Objet : [LUTE] Re: Tablature Mandore Guitare

> > Indeed I noticed the gallichon tuning, and wrote: "Interestingly
> > one tuning on fol 6 is given as for the 'Calledono' which I presume
> > refers to the gallichon thus once again showing an interchange in usage
> > between the mandora and gallichon - though the tuning given is not
> > one I recognise from other sources".

Apologies, now I see what you mean. That's on fol. 3r (= p. 5). The word
actually reads "Callezono". There are three tunings. The first two of them
are intended for the 5c callichon, whereas the third tuning is for the
6string viol, as indicated above the system ("Accord pro sex chordis /
Aliter Viola di Gamb[a]").

The first tuning is a - e - c - G - D. That is a standard callichon tuning
IIRC what Pietro Prosser wrote about it. The second tuning is somewhat
faulty in that the names do not match the pitches. There is a bass clef
prescribed. The notes are b - f - c - F - C. Yet the names written besides
the upper three notes are g, d, a. They would match in the treble clef, but
not with the bass clef. Wrong notes and correct names? I don't think so. I
should think that the correct alternative callichon tuning is bb - f - c - F
- C.

The third tuning is that of a standard bass viol (in D). That might give a
clue as for the solo music for the viol (fol. 33v – 47v).

Fol. 5r – 33r is a bass part for the accompaniment of arias to be sung.
Among them, I stumbled upon the air Sommes nous pas trop heureux by Lully
(9v).

Fol. 48 – 96 contain solo music for the mandora, closing with a long set of
variations on Les Folies d'Espagne.

On fol. 96 is a chart with alfabeto, followed by an air for the guitar ("Man
weiß bey dießer zeit von keinem Freund" = no friends around, these days).

The rest consists of duets for the viol as treble (betrayed by some dyads)
and possibly the callichon as bass instruments, including a set of
arrangements of tunes from Lully's opera Belloferon.

Apparently, the guitar and the mandora were considered different not only
regarding their respective shapes, but also in terms of playing technique
and its notation. There is no alfabeto (and, inferentially, no strumming) in
the mandora parts of the ms.

Mathias

> Hm, on fol. 6r I see a gavotte and a somewhat strange scale with ”wrong“
pitch
> names (suppose it’s a tool for transposing from sight). And on fol. 6v I
see a
> Schmidt Courent. No charts on fol. 16, 26, 36, 46, 56, 66, 76, 86.
> There are alfabeto and tuning instructions on fol. 96, but they are
intended for
> the guitar, and the tuning is not a new one but a different way of tuning,
i.e. in
> octaves and fifths (with a mistake in measure 1, as 1a + 3f equals a major
third).

> On p. 24v seq, the headline that I can see reads “Fundamentales Concentus
in
> Callizon”, i.e. either “chords in root position” or “basic chords” on the
Callichon.