From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf
Of David Van Edwards
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2012 4:03 AM
To: willsam...@yahoo.co.uk
Cc: 'Lute List'
Subject: [LUTE] Re: What makes a good lute?

   This seems a good moment to wheel out the piece from several years ago
   that still alas applies!

   Best wishes,

   David

   From the LS newsletter, November 1993:
    Buying a lute, 1551 ===================
   Good morrow, Master Laux; I wish to buy a lute.
   Good morrow, kind Sir; here are 998 for you to choose from. Would you
   have it large, medium or small? If the 392 large lutes in this small
   chest are not your liking, I have another 175 upstairs.
   Thank you, Master Laux; I will take this medium-sized one.
    Buying a lute, 1993 ===================
   I'd like to buy a lute please.
   Ah, you'd like to order a lute. Do you want a 4-course for the medieval
   repertoire, or a 5-course for the 15th century, or a 6-course, which
   covers most of the 16th century, or a 7-course for the Elizabethan
   repertoire, or an 8-course which gives you just that little bit more
   flexibility, or a 9-course, which takes you up to late Dowland, or a
   10-course for the early 17th century, or an 11-course for the French
   repertoire, or a 12-course, which was probably much more common than
   most people think, or a 13-course?
   Erm...
   Of course, there are two different kinds of 13-course
   Of course.
   Now for the string length, I can do you 45cm for a treble, or 53cm in
   a, or 60cm in g, or 57cm if you've got small hands, or 64cm in f#
   (that's a g lute at aA5, of course), or 67 cm in f, or 71cm in e, or
   78cm in d, or 88cm in c, or 93cm for a great bass. Or I can do you a
   really little one if you want to use gut strings.
   Erm...
   Now you can gave the body after Maler, or Frei, or Bosch, or Gerle, or
   Hieber, or Vernere, or Magno Dieffopruchar the Elder, or Magno
   Dieffopruchar the Younger, or Hartung, or Greif, or Hess, or Hellmer,
   or Langenwalder, or Buechenberg, or Unverdorben, or Mest, or Raillich,
   or Giogio Sellas, or Matteo Sellas, or Coch, or Tielke, or Schelle, or
   Eberle, or Widhalm, or Christian Hoffmann, or Martin Hoffmann, or Ian
   Harwood, or Zachary Taylor.
   Erm...
   You can have the ribs in sycamore, or Bird's-eye maple, or figured ash,
   or unfigured ash, or plum, or cherry, or yew, or cypress, or rosewood,
   or kingwood, or snakewood, or walnut, or ebony, or wenge, or cocobolo,
   or cryptomeria, or ecologically justifiable very realistic imitation of
   ivory. I don't do fibreglass these days.
   Erm...
   You can have the neck in the style of...
   No, no, don't bother about the neck.
   Well the varnish can be either three parts linseed oil...
   Look, do it however you like, please. How soon can you have it
   finished?
   Erm...