>  My teacher told me that you don't choose a lute, it chooses you. Maybe
>   that is true.

That is true, you know it when you feel it, but it may take years of playing
experience on many instruments to finally recognize that "right" and perfect
match up when it happens. My once-in-a-lifetime lute didn't show up until 2010-
and I have been playing lutes for about 40 years, and I wasn't even looking for
a new R-lute anymore.

Sometimes one never finds a "perfect" instrument and does the best one can- and
IF it's a fabulous sounding instrument it is well worth the effort. That
describes my vihuela- my one instrument that has been built scrupulously
faithful to a specific, original model; except for the spacing/set-up meeting
my hands-  but only 90% of the way. Size 10-1/2 "shoe" for my size 11 "foot".

With some instruments you just don't get the full range of shoe sizes. Modern
classical guitars are always going to be 64 or 65 cm. or close-  radically
change that, and you no longer have a proper "E" instrument. Or not one that
sounds good. Of course one can get a terz guiitar- size and pitch of an
alto/high tenor lute.

There was a New Yorker article some years ago about a woman- concert level
trained pianist- whose sole job for the Steinway company was matching
prospective buyers to the instrument of their dreams. Players would try dozens,
scores, of pianos until they found the "right" one- out of seemingly identical
instruments, all built to identical specs, to a level of standardization that
lutenists, luthiers, (and even guitarists for that matter) can't even dream of.
To my knowledge, only one great historical pianist had an instrument built to
his specs. Joseph Hoffman; early 20th century. He had all the keys shave a
little & more closely spaced to match his smaller-than-Rachmaninoff"s hands.
And of course Glenn Gould personally obsessed his instruments to incredible
degrees.

Sometimes the instrument can be set up to meet your hands, sometimes you train
your hands to meet the instrument. Sometimes it's a bit of both. The shoe
analogy breaks down at this point, and of course we haven't even touched on
that "historical" thing. Anyway, an Edlinger Burkholtzer is no longer a
Burkholtzer Burkholtzer.

Dan