When intentionally tuning a cello to perfect fifths, use the octave
harmonic (divides the string in half) on the upper string, and the
'third' harmonic, i.e., the one that divides the lower string in
thirds. For tuning A against D, for instance, your little finger
should touch the same point where you would normally finger the octave
above the open A string while your thumb should lightly touch the D
string where you normally play A. The former will sound the same pitch
whether fingered or played as a harmonic, while the latter will sound
the pitch an octave and a fifth above the open D string (which is the
same A.) The nice thing about using the harmonics is that a) you don't
have to have your finger in exactly the right place to get the
harmonic and have it be on-pitch, and b) the harmonic sounds the
single frequency (unless you way-overbow) rather than the rich-toned
fingered pitch. You need that pure sine to get the least confusion
about the beat.

When you play these two harmonics together, they will beat unless the
strings are tuned in a pure fifth relation. If you tune the open
strings in the manner you have been doing and then test with the
harmonics, you will find out very quickly if you are actually tuning
pure or not.

The Korg tuner has gone through a few revisions in the past years.
Mine doesn't allow more than equal temperament (so I've had charts to
adjust for various historical temperaments.) If the model you have is
OT120 (Which is currently on sale for $70 from Musician's Friend and
Sweetwater) then you can set historical tunings and temperaments,
which gives more room for experimentation. Also, petersontuners.com is
full of interesting information on tuning, and if you look in the
manuals for various of their more expensive tuners may just give you
some other tuning ideas.

William Brohinsky