Dear David,

Indeed it looks like 8+4 setting.  The 1st string runs almost to the edge of
the bridge, but when examined on a big screen it's difficult to say if there is
any hole left on the bridge (treble side).
As for a ribbon stripe attached to the neck block button it could be that this
kind of arrangement was favored by ladies because of side hoops (panniers) of
their robes, which probably used to give much better stability and support for
a lute.
Another extraordinary feature of this lute is the number of fingerboard frets.
I am not sure as the paint is a little bit smudged, but it  looks like there
are 11 frets + 2 wooden on the soundboard.
All in all very unusual.

Best wishes

Jaroslaw

Wiadomość napisana przez David Van Edwards w dniu 19 lip 2012, o godz. 22:57: