     From: JarosAA'aw Lipski <jaroslawlip...@wp.pl>
     Subject: [LUTE] Re: Eleonore von Schlieben-Sanditten
     To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
     Date: Friday, 20 July, 2012, 12:52

   Dear Martyn,
   It may look very incorrect however we have to keep in mind that a
   painting is not a photograph. A painter has other goals to achieve. We
   can examine some interesting details of paintings, but coming into
   direct conclusions is another matter.
   First of all, Antoine Pesne who was the director of the Berlin Academy
   of the Arts from 1722 (where he was called by King Frederick I of
   Prussia) wouldn't get things totally wrong IMO. Have a look at his
   other paintings - it's really difficult to find one thing that is
   incorrectly depicted. On the other hand one has to take into
   consideration that the texture he used,  especially to paint a
   background, or items that were classified by him as less important, was
   not perfectly lucid, sharp or hyper realistic. He was called later one
   of the fathers of Rococo in painting and the new style had different
   means of showing reality.  He was a fine portraitist and had very good
   powers of observation though. I doubt very much if he used a ruler to
   paint the strings we are talking about (and he probably didn't care,
   not knowing that there would be some maniacs like us a couple of
   centuries later who would dispute about these archaic instruments).
   However what is of some interest to me i!
   s the fact that he noticed free grooves on the nut, missing
   chantarelles, red strings on the bass side from the 3rd course on, and
   a longish neck. How the first string is attached to the bridge is
   difficult to say as I can't see anything apart from a whitish line over
   the bridge which could mean a normal way of tying a string. As I said
   before, we shouldn't expect the same level of clarity in details as in
   some Renaissance or early Baroque pictures. If you are concerned about
   asymmetry in placing the bridge I would say that we can not see where
   exactly it ends on the bass side as it's covered by Lady's forearm. If
   you judge it by the position of the last bass string it can be
   misleading as the Lady could have moved all courses towards treble
   side. Whether she played this instrument or not is not really important
   here.
   Then, what kind of instrument is this? My guess is that it could have
   been an example of a German D-minor theorbo (the one that Weiss talked
   about) rebuild from a normal 13 course lute. Why?
   1/ The time and place is correct - the portrait was painted in Berlin
   in 1745 (some more info on Eleonore
   [1]http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleonore_von_Schlieben  ).
   2/ We can't see the whole instrument, but it's clear that diapasons are
   not attached in the 1st pegbox, so there must be another one somewhere
   up there. Conclusion - the instrument has a long neck and 2 pegboxes.
   Because of the time and place it is doubtful if it could be an
   archlute. Then a swan neck lute or theorbo is possible.
   3/ The Lady took off trebles and the only reason for doing so could be
   a need of transforming the lute into continuo instrument.
   4/ The octave stringing from the 3rd course down only confirm this
   supposition.
   5/ The number of fingerboard frets can suggest that proportions of the
   body to neck could have been changed in favor of the neck. It is
   possible that the real proportions of this lute were not portrayed
   correctly intentionally because of the constraints caused by the
   composition of this painting. Lady's figure is centrally placed like an
   axis of the picture, so it is possible that Pesne wanted to fit the 1st
   pegbox within view. This in turn may suggest that it could be more
   theorbo-like.
   All in all it is a very interesting stringing idea - to use one D-minor
   instrument alternatively for continuo or solo just by rearranging a
   stringing. Obviously I can be totally wrong, but it gives me an idea
   though.
   All the best
   Jaroslaw
   WiadomoAA>Ae/= napisana przez Martyn Hodgson w dniu 20 lip 2012, o
   godz. 09:07:

   [7]http://uploads7.wikipaintings.org/images/antoine-pesne/portrait-of-e