Dear fellow lutenutters,

I can think of a good reason for synthetics. I live in the tropics, Singapore,
to be precise, where the temperature is usually in the 70% - 85% range, and on
rainy days it goes up to 100%. gut trebles don't last more than a few days
here. 0.75 and larger seem to be ok though, and i have gut basses on my
archlute. Our temperature goes between the 16-24 deg air-conditioned indoors to
the 27-36 deg outdoors. I couldn't possibly play any sort of lute or early
guitars here if not for synthetics.

Regards,

Edward Chrysogonus Yong
ky...@pacific.net.sg