See here: http://www.classicitaliani.it/glossari/glossario_medioevo_01.htm. Just scroll down to the relevant entry.

-----Original Message----- From: Peter Nightingale
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:37 PM
To: lute list
Subject: [LUTE] Where's "day" in "di mille mort il di sarei contento?"

Dear All,

Il bianco e dolce cigno (Alfonso d'Avalos/Archadelt/Miguel de Fuenllana
ends with:

Se nel morir, altro dolor non sento,
di mille mort il di sarei contento.

Internet wisdom translates this as "If I feel no other pain than this in
dying, I should be content to die a thousand deaths a day."  I'm not sure
that I know where to find "a day."  If it's really there, I'd put my money
on "il di," which would make sense if "di" were an elided form of the
Latin "dies."  However, I have not been able to find anything like that in
a modern Italian dictionary, which always has "di" as the prepositions
"of."

Thanks,
Peter.

The next auto-quote (sent from my commercial-free computer) is:

The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge.
(Bertrand Russell)
/\/\
Peter Nightingale                  Telephone (401) 874-5882
Department of Physics, East Hall   Fax (401) 874-2380
University of Rhode Island         Kingston, RI 02881