   From: David Tayler <vidan...@sbcglobal.net>
   To: "lute@cs.dartmouth.edu" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Thursday, 8 August 2013, 4:33
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: home recording
     The omni capsule is an NT45, not the 55. It has a very different
     character than the cardioid and is excellent in free field omni
     applications.
     As far as brightness, many factors cause this, but in general, omnis
     tend to have less of a presence peak than cardioids. Of course a mic
     like the MKH 40 is pretty flat 20-20, however, there is an acoustic
     principle at work as well. AS good as the NT45 is, I do not recommend
     it for lute if you are only buying a pair. That is because the mic
     works best at slightly longer distances from the sound source, and
   with
     the lute you have to have a medium distance mic to keep the signal to
     noise ratio under control, and to avoid picking up surface noise. As
     flanker mics in an array, or surround mics, they are fine, if not
   quite
     as smooth as the "big three".
     snip
     less brightness from an omni?
     snip
     An omni will, in most acoustics, pick up more reflected or ambient
     sound than a cardioid, by design. In a church or even a room, as the
     sound radiates out and back, it loses high frequency energy, then is
     picked up by the mic, So an omni has a greater ratio of rolled off
     sound to direct sound than a cardioid, which in turn lowers the total
     amount of high frequency energy. Some inexpensive mics have big
     presence peaks to make them sound more like pop music, but most omnis
     are fairly conservative in this regard.
     The lute has two almost impossible recording problems--surface noise
     and a high frequency bump in area we associate with speech. Because
   of
     this, most mics, no matter what the specs, no matter what the
   reviews,
     no matter what the salesperson who has never made a classical music
     recording will tell you, most mics will fail miserably at recording
   the
     lute, and make a scratchy, "plicky" (plastic+icky)
     sound. Plick plick plick. The B1 and the Oktavas, as well as the very
     expensive ones I mentioned, just happen to have the EQ notches in the
     right places to counteract the basic noise from the lute, or at least
     keep it to a minimum. Preamp circuit topology also plays a role, but
     the mic is the main source of the noise and plicky sound.
     dt