Hi Chris,

   With all due respect to Messrs  North, O'Dette,  Barto and
   Smith ('NOBS' for short- sounds rude but better than 'SNOB' I think) ,
   there are a LOT of younger lutenists who are every bit as good as they
   were at that age.  What the younger ones lack is the immense experience
   and judgement of the old guard ('old'?  Sheesh!  They're all younger
   than me!).  When these guys were in their 20s they had few rivals.
   Most of the older lutenists from the post-Dolmetsch era weren't the
   greatest performers (Bream being an exception) though they were right
   up there with their musicology and teaching ability.  The intervening
   generation produced Rooley, Tyler, Bailes and of course Schaeffer and
   Dombois - but that was about it* - so there were many more opportunites
   for them than there are now.  That was still the case for the young
   NOBSs.

   Nowadays, of course, there are very many more great quality lutenists
   than there were forty years ago, but there's not nearly enough work to
   go round to keep them all busy as concert performers.  Probably their
   best hope of earning a crust is through teaching - either in academia
   or with private students - and grabbing a performing opportunity when
   it presents itself.

   I can't really see any way out of supply outstripping demand - 'the
   economics of the market-place'.  Of course this makes it a cut-throat
   business to be in; something nobody thinks about very much when they
   enrol at college to study music.

   Bill

   *  Apologies for any names I have inadvertently omitted - old age, you
   know . . .