On 2014-04-24, 6:13 AM, Matthew Daillie wrote:
I ordered some La Bella strings a few years back and their
calculations were way off. I was able to do my own for the nylon
strings by measuring the diameter but it was really hit and miss for
the copper-wound strings as I didn't have any basis for calculation.
The strings they suggested on their website were totally
inappropriate (far too slack). I did contact them about this issue
but they never sorted anything out. Shame, because their strings are
well made and reasonably priced.

I recently installed a set of their baroque guitar strings (BGMT#1) on my Roosebeck Sellas baroque guitar and they seem OK. They buzzed a bit at first because the nut was low and the nylon frets bowed upwards, as compared the way-too-heavy strings supplied by the manufacturer, but have improved a lot since I shimmed the nut up. I think once I replace the nylon frets with gut, they should be just fine.

Geoff

--
Geoff Gaherty
Foxmead Observatory