On 2014-06-21, 9:29 AM, Christopher Wilke wrote:
Keep in mind that the food is probably about as authentically Italian
as a taco. (I'm guessing. If they do serve actual regional Italian
cuisine, the food is going to be the star, not the music.) Your
audience will most likely get more of a kick out of hearing
"Norwegian Wood" on the lute than Francesco.

By all means, play whatever you are comfortable with, but do include at least a few Italian pieces. You never can tell who might be listening. I remember a gig for a banquet before the opening of a play at Stratford, Ontario, where we were playing Morley consort lessons as loud as we could into two pitiful microphones, pretty much completely inaudible. I later found out that Liona Boyd and Maureen Forrester were both in attendance. Ms. Boyd didn't come anywhere near us, but Ms. Forrester came and sat as close to us as she could get. When we finished, she said, "I couldn't hear a damn thing, and I'm writing a letter to the sponsor complaining about how badly the musicians were treated!" A great lady, that!

Geoff

--
Geoff Gaherty
Foxmead Observatory