As a retired luthier of little note, my experience and study is that
   just about everything has been done before.  However, the top
   decoration on a lute bridge is just decoration.  There have been
   ivory-fretted lutes, which I think has its place today (using imitation
   ivory).   A  string-saddle on a lute bridge is just ugly...