Thanks for the replies, I'm not planning to build a lute, just curious
   about certain aspects of its construction.
   Regards.

     Dear All,
     As far as bridge toppings are concerned, there is no doubt that that
     they are purely decorative and/or practical.
     Acoustically I doubt that anyone knows much about how it works, but
     it is obvious that the lute bridge is a very small, low-mass
     connector of the strings to the soundboard, A and because of the
     shape of "classic" (late 16th/early 17 C) lute bridges the point
     where the string "leaves" the bridge is often somewhat nearer the
     nut than the point where the bridge joins the soundboard, presumably
     increasing the leverage of the strings in the direction of rotation.
     A Old lute bridges are often made of relatively light materials
     (e.g. pear) so are not so stiff that they "act as one", which may
     also be a factor in the design.
     Martin

   Bruno Figueiredo
   Pesquisador autA'nomo da prA!tica e interpretaAS:A-L-o
   historicamente informada no alaA-ode e teorba.
   Doutor em PrA!ticas InterpretativasA pela
   Universidade Federal do Estado do Rio de Janeiro.