Martin- that is one sweet looking masterpiece; I would have killed for one (or paid you to build one!) back in 1999 when I was working on Piccinini a whole lot. Perfect symmetry! The historic survivors vary a bit in this regard, yours looks just like one of the better ones that I have seen. Not being able to get one was part of what prompted me to go for a "Chambure" vihuela copy when I became aware of that new find.

I like how your playing smooths out on the Piccinini as you get further into the piece- I hope you can build one for yourself, so that your own playing comes up to your 6-course fluency.

The double chanterelle is a feature that I have been struggling with (on the Vihuela) for years; first it took a long time to get the stringing to work- string material/diameter/tension/pitch level combo right, and then more time getting the touch right. But so worth it! At it's best, there is a wonderful concord & unity with all the other double courses, but when out of sorts or practice it can really suck. I can see why there was such controversy about double vs. single for quite a while back in the day.

I would conjecture that some modern approaches to the liuto attorbiato design with short but single diapasons are indeed taking advantage of wire overspun basses that have enough harmonic overtones to get away with no 8ve strings, but can still give a bit of the feel of that long, extended neck growl and twang so typical of archlutes & theorbi. For the liuto attorbiato, I much prefer your solution- because it is not, after all, an archlute (much less a theorbo).

Congrats, and I hope you build more!

Dan