Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2015 8:52 AM
To: LuteNet
Subject: [LUTE] Avoiding cracks and lute parts getting unglued - dry weather

Dear lute friends,

It's winter time, so e.g. in Central Europe here it can be quite dry
outside. As a result of a train trip on one of those dry days the table
of my baroque mandolin loosened from the body although I avoided to put
my instrument next to heatings and put some water inside the case.

What might be the reasons of those things happening? Is it about the
changing from the train to the outside e.g.? Is it the dryness inside
the (often too strongly) heated train? Can it happen in a few
seconds/minutes having laid the instrument next to a hidden heating?

What are you doing to avoid those miseries?
Is it better to loosen the strings?
How much water and in which way do you put it into the case?

Many thanks for helpful hints!

Susanne