Von: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] Im Auftrag
von Susanne Herre
Gesendet: Sonntag, 11. Januar 2015 15:52
An: LuteNet
Betreff: [LUTE] Avoiding cracks and lute parts getting unglued - dry weather

Dear lute friends,

It's winter time, so e.g. in Central Europe here it can be quite dry outside.
As a result of a train trip on one of those dry days the table of my baroque
mandolin loosened from the body although I avoided to put my instrument next to
heatings and put some water inside the case.

What might be the reasons of those things happening? Is it about the changing
from the train to the outside e.g.? Is it the dryness inside the (often too
strongly) heated train? Can it happen in a few seconds/minutes having laid the
instrument next to a hidden heating?

What are you doing to avoid those miseries?
Is it better to loosen the strings?
How much water and in which way do you put it into the case?

Many thanks for helpful hints!

Susanne