Thanks for your thoughtful post, Chris.  Your project is worthy of
   support and you did an excellent job of describing the current dilemma
   for recording artists in accurate and diplomatic terms.
   Most people involved in the lute world, whether they are first-class
   players like you, or whether they simply enjoy the aesthetic of the
   instrument, simply don't even think about what it takes to produce a
   recording today.  It's a different world than the "fan club" approach
   of the past, where top players were easily able to obtain academic
   appointments, research grants, artist representation, and recording
   contracts that actually paid for the session work, production,
   distribution and even royalties.
   Today, even the top players (with a few rare exceptions) are struggling
   with the cost of making recordings - which are almost always
   self-financed - and even musicians who record for reputable labels are
   "paid" in rather skimpy piles of their own CDs which must be sold at
   concerts if they want to make anything at all for their effort.
   Talented amateurs who have piles of "the ready" can make nice
   recordings without the worry of whether they should reproduce several
   cartons of their CD, or whether they should buy a sack of groceries
   this week and perhaps even pay the heat bill.
   Again, there is no reason why someone who simply appreciates lute music
   should have to think about the nuts and bolts of how their favorite
   recordings are made, but we can all be assured that it has nothing to
   do with the fairytale myth of merit.  There are many deserving artists
   out there who should be heard and supported, but there is no longer a
   viable market model for financing and remuneration - especially with
   the unsustainable model of streaming services.  We have written about
   this in the past
   [1]https://mignarda.wordpress.com/2013/01/30/should-listeners-feel-guil
   ty-about-using-spotify/ and others have done so more eloquently
   [2]http://thetrichordist.com/2014/10/14/streaming-is-the-future-spotify
   -is-not-lets-talk-solutions/
   Chris, your project deserves the highest level of support - and we know
   that the amount you're aiming for is only a fraction of the total cost
   of the project.  You should have people knocking on your door asking
   how much you want to make this recording.  Kickstarter is a step in the
   right direction, but as far as I can see the only viable solution in
   our niche market is to ask our certain incorporated non-profit
   organizations to stop behaving like fan clubs and make targeted funds
   available to energetic and motivated artists for recording worthwhile
   projects - and not with limitations so the funds apply only to the
   select few students of the gatekeepers who have been running the racket
   for far too long.
   Those of us working class musicians who have been in the biz since the
   70s have watched with dismay how the new business model has changed
   what used to be "$ for product" into "you're lucky we pay you 0.00012
   per stream."  It's a little frustrating to see monthly reports
   indicating tens of thousands of streams and not making enough to cover
   the price of a good meal.
   Anyway, best of luck with your project.
   RA
   > Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 09:21:53 -0800
   > To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu; gjoachim...@wp.pl
   > From: chriswi...@cs.dartmouth.edu
   > Subject: [LUTE] Lute in the Future
   >
   > Dear Luters,
   >
   > If you think the lute is only for S.N.O.B.s, then read no further.
   However, if you believe that there are still vast oceans of discovery
   our instrument has to offer beyond the marvelous work produced by
   Smith, North, ODette and Barto, then read on.
   > Todays music scene is fraught with significant challenges, but also
   many opportunities. The great modern masters of the lute forged brave
   paths for our instrument in the 70s and 80s to which we are all greatly
   indebted. Their efforts would have been in vain but for the platform of
   support provided by forward thinking record companies, academic
   institutions and festivals/concert series willing to take chances on
   promoting what was then a promising, yet extremely risky endeavor.
   > Young musicians working in early music today cant expect such
   assistance. The plum teaching positions and concert series are already
   occupied by members of the previous generation. This is true of record
   labels as well, which, saddled with their own difficulties of making
   money in the digital age, are unable to put money behind developing new
   artists as they once did. This is especially true of those whose
   artistic individuality brings fresh insights.
   > Until recently, these deserving voices had little chance of being
   heard at all. Despair not, hungry members of the lute hoard, for no
   longer must we rely on outside arbiters of taste to find the boldness
   we desire! The early music industry, restricted by market forces and
   the expectations of recently invented tradition, must confine their
   lineup of performers to a relatively small circle of recognizable
   "stars" who play within an easily-defined range of stylistic options.
   Admirable as the work of these well-established pioneers has been, you
   can at last delight in other gems! How can you so empower yourself?
   Simple. Through the support of people like you, several members of this
   list, including Edward Martin, Thomas Walker and Duo Mignarda were able
   to bring out valuable projects via crowd funding that otherwise may
   have been neglected entirely.
   > Im also turning Kickstarter to fund my next album. Its a recording of
   Bach, Weiss and Falckenhagen that incorporates portions of elaborate,
   written-out doubles and improvised cadenzas just how musicians of the
   18th century were expected to play. Im proud to present this
   combination of art and research. However, because such intrepid
   exploration goes beyond the just play the notes on the page mentality
   of many in classical music, it is the type of thing that fits uneasily
   into the catalog of record companies.
   > The best part? Your support wont just give you the warm fuzzies; if
   you back the project, your generosity will be rewarded with very real
   gifts, including an advance copy of the new finished album. Click the
   link below for a video presentation, description and audio samples.

   https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1600736048/desperate-doors-baroque
   -lute-album