Dear Danny and all,
   I want to apologize for my recent comments in this discussion. It was
   my intention to shed positive light on what is often seen as a taboo
   topic in a constructive way. Instead, the discourse devolved in the
   opposite direction. In retrospect, I can see that my own comments are
   wholly to blame for this.
   I believed that the copious unfortunate anecdotes regularly related in
   private discussion between numerous fellow freelance artists and myself
   were representative of a state of affairs that is self-evident to all.
   I appreciate and respect that others hold equally valid views informed
   by completely different experiences. As this subject directly effects
   my and my family's financial health and future prospects, I
   inappropriately projected my own feelings into this dialog.
   It was never my intention to accuse you, Danny, nor anyone else, of
   misrepresentation. My choice of words was very regrettable and for that
   I am especially sorry.
   I hope that you will accept my apology and that we may continue to be
   friends and artists working in an atmosphere of mutual respect.
   Chris
   [1]Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

     At Feb 26, 2015, 4:36:42 PM, Daniel
     Shoskes<'kidneykut...@gmail.com'> wrote:Well, I guess that my
     ignorance comes across as being disingenuous. People sure seem to
     think I know more than I do on this topic. Here's MY administrative
     side:
     1) Vice President of the Board of Apollo's Fire: the board has no
     say in which guest artists are hired. A pretty clear meritocracy
     from what I have seen. And of course, merit to be hired for an
     ensemble requires skills that go beyond the purely musical (show up
     on time, be prepared, work collaboratively with others, etc)
     2) Board Member Early Music America: not a presenting group but does
     sponsor competitions. I haven't judged them myself but I've also
     been very impressed by the winners
     3) I set up and funded the Pat O'Brien lectureship for LSA. Based on
     who Pat wanted. Purely subjective and not based on any independent
     assessment of merit. Tough luck there.
     4) Used to be on the Board of LSA. Never had a say in who the
     seminar faculty would be (other than the POB lecturer). Not every
     single faculty member at every LSA seminar of all time would
     necessarily have been my first choice if I was the King of LSA but
     certainly most would have been. Of late, every faculty has included
     both big names and emerging talent (or at least first time faculty)
     So no, I don't know who these organizations are that present solo
     lutenists or small ensembles and who seem to be cutting you and Ron
     out of your deserved shows and CD contracts for political reasons,
     if that's really what all the euphemisms mean. Or faculty
     appointments? Board memberships? Spots on the Tonight Show? It is of
     course also a business, so a talented "name" that sells out a hall
     will always be preferred over a talented newcomer that doesn't pull
     in a crowd, but so that has been since the early days.
     And also to emphasize, the fact that I don't know who these groups
     are doesn't mean that I dismiss the possibility that they are out
     there. "Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after
     you" (Joseph Heller)
     Danny
     <[2]chriswi...@cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote:

     > Danny,
     >
     > I must respectfully say that I think you're being disingenuous
     here. You've been on the administrative side of things long enough
     to know that merit is rarely a prime consideration when it comes to
     who and what is promoted by arts organizations. Beyond a certain
     level of competency, institutions in a position to help advance
     careers frequently anoint "beautiful ones" on the basis of
     political, rather than aesthetic criteria. I'm not at all suggesting
     that you are personally involved in any of this, but over the years
     I have trouble believing you've never witnessed it happening.

     > Having been a victim of this system myself (repeatedly and much
     more frequently lately, it seems), I can totally understand Ron's
     reticence in naming names. Even describing scenarios in a general
     manner is a great way to lose old friends, make fresh enemies and
     work yourself out of work. However, a dismissive, "There's no
     Establishment or Conspiracy. You're paranoid," is not an appropriate
     response to legitimate issues.

     > Keeping one's mouth shut and pretending there is no dysfunction in
     the early music industry is absolutely unhealthy. We should ALL be
     keenly aware of that in the wake of the recent Philip Pickett
     scandal. (For those who aren't aware, Pickett was a long time
     professor of early music at the Guildhall School of Music who, just
     convicted of raping several students, is currently serving an
     11-year prison term. Sickeningly, the school administration was
     informed of his behavior and responded by telling the students to
     simply switch schools.) I'm not suggesting that anyone else is
     involved in such horrible activities, but those who use their
     influence to squash the deserving deserve to be called out. Many in
     high places are long overdue for a harsh dose of karma. I have a
     feeling it's finally starting to happen and will be here in force
     soon.

     <[6]praelu...@hotmail.com>