The Umlauts in my message seem to have gotten garbled, so I'll write the volume name like this: Ars Iocundissima: Festschrift fuer Kurt Dorfmueller zum 60. Geburtstag., ed. Horst Leuchtmann and Robert Muenster.

-----Original Message----- From: stephen arndt
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2015 11:25 PM
To: lute mailing list list
Subject: [LUTE] Intabulation

  Dear Lute Friends,

  I recently had occasion to compare several lute intabulations with the
  vocal original and became very interested in the process of
  intabulating. While doing a bit of Google searching, I came across this
  article: Marie Louise GAP:llner, "On the Process of Lute Intabulation
  in the Sixteenth Century," in Ars Iocundissima: Festschrift fA 1/4r
  Kurt DorfmA 1/4ller zum 60. Geburtstag, ed. Horst Leuchtmann and Robert
  MA 1/4nster (Tutzing, 1984), 83 a 96.

  I have actually found the volume for sale at a not too expensive price
  but, since I am interested in just the one article, I was wondering
  whether anyone on the list has read it and, if so, could tell me what
  it is about. In particular, does it contain any "rules" or guidelines
  to help someone learn the art of intabulation? If so, I may well
  purchase the volume. (On the other hand, if anyone owns the volume, I
  would be happy to compensate him or her for the trouble of scanning and
  sending me the relevant pages.)

  More generally, can anyone recommend an article or a book that would
  give helpful suggestions for adapting Renaissance vocal works for the
  lute. If someone somewhere has summarized whatever is to be found in
  historical sources, that would be wonderful.

  Just out of curiosity, I tried intabulating a little two-voiced duet by
  Orlando di Lasso, first transcribing it note-for-note and then adding
  some runs to lengthen the longer notes that cannot be sustained for
  their full value on the lute, and I wasn't too displeased with the
  results. I would like to try my hand at some further intabulations,
  but, rather than learning through trial and error, it would be nice to
  profit from whatever instruction already exists.

  Thank you.

  Best regards,

  Stephen Arndt