I don’t think anyone in the media, or the general public, knows the difference
between fact and fiction.  The thing is, though, they never did.  Very shortly
after the Big Bang, when I was a child, I remember seeing “King Richard and the
Crusaders."  You have to be pretty old to recognize these names, but how about
Rex Harrison in blackface as Saladin and George Sanders as King Richard the
Lionheart?  LOL!!!!!!!!!  They pretty much made it up as they went along, just
as they do today.  And how much historical truth was there to any of the
“historical” Robin Hoods?  And as for “real” history, I can think of three
different accounts of the execution of Savonarola:  hung by the neck over a
bonfire, strangled first then burned, and just plain burned.  And all three
from books with footnotes!  As for a sense of history,” how about Moulin Rouge
for a period piece?

Here’s another urban legend concerning the vihuela:  I heard back in the day
that Alonzo Mudarra would have played his Fantasia in the style of Ludovico the
harpist using a campanela technique, as opposed to the way he wrote the piece
down, because he didn’t want anybody else to discover how he managed the
harp-like effect.

Oh well, why labor to appreciate Machaut when you’ve got the Medieval Babes,
right?

David R