On 2015-11-02 1:28 PM, Peter Kwasniewski wrote:
Many thanks for your note. I can see that the real solution for my
children is simply to forge ahead with the figured bass, otherwise it
won't be possible!

It's not too hard to work out a figured bass on lute because there are fairly limited chord possibilities. There's no shame in working it out on paper rather than insisting on sight reading.

Meanwhile, Arto Wikla sent me a PDF of the Robert Dowland score, for
which I am very grateful.

I would have done the same, except that my copy of Musical Banquet has gone missing. You will find this group is extremely generous in sharing their music and wisdom.

Geoff

--
Geoff Gaherty
Foxmead Observatory