Dear Rainer,

Bar 7 is unplayable on a lute of any size if you try to hold all the notes. In fact I think it's likely that he intends a vibrato on the first note of the bar. There are no signs for vibrato in this book, but there are in the 1620 book (Regia Pietas), and the vibrato sign associated with notes in high positions where we might have expected the same note(s) in a lower position. Have a look at Psalm 135 on p.135. Piccinini and M.Galilei do the same thing (without any signs).

Martin