Dear Rainer,

OK I'm a fan of Occam's razor too. But we can't do experiments on the past, the only evidence we have is what we have, and that is deeply unsatisfactory, I agree.

So according to the evidence, Vallet didn't notate vibrato before 1620 because he didn't use it, then suddenly he started using it and therefore included it in his scores. I think it's more likely that after the 1615/16 books, he realised that it would be possible to help his readers even more by giving a special sign showing where vibrato (already part of the repertory of ornaments for many years) was used.

The "hold marks" showing holding of bass notes (and others) are a feature of lute tablatures from Capirola to Galilei to Dowland and beyond, but what they usually show is the theoretical voice-leading, not the places where you can actually physically hold the notes in question (Capirola's signs are actually more subtle than that, but that's another story). I can provide numerous examples of this if required.

Vibrato is discussed by many authors (Piccinini, Mersenne, Mace, Burwell) and most of them describe it as good but to be used in moderation, and being something of a relic of earlier times, when people used it too much. When were those "earlier times"? I suggest that there is evidence in the Board lute book (lachrimae, and the Almain by Robert Dowland) that Dowland may have used a cluster of little dots as a sign for vibrato. This is not seen in any other lute manuscript, but do we think that Dowland never used vibrato except when he was teaching MB? Very few English lute manscripts have any ornament signs at all - does that mean that the scribes of those manuscripts never used ornaments?

Given the apparent tendency of most lute composers to use open strings whenever possible, when you see a note played high on a lower course rather than in lower positions, you might suspect some kind of special effect, sometimes it might even be a vibrato. I took the hint in my attempt at the "tremolo" fantasia (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjY9wDOecwM). There are notated examples in Barbe, for instance, at a time when (according to the sources) vibrato was somewhat out of favour check out "L'amant malheureux" by Gallot (Barbe, facsimile p.36-7).

OK, I'm going off to play a few (hypothetical) "tuts".

All the best,

Martin