   From: Dan Winheld <dwinh...@lmi.net>
   Date: 2017-02-28 8:07 PM (GMT-05:00)
   To: Miles Dempster <miles.demps...@gmail.com>, lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: basses in octaves

   On 2/28/2017 4:06 PM, Miles Dempster wrote:
   "Maybe it could help if the octave is closer in tension to the
   fundamental."
   Bingo!- Miles wins. It became a custom to string lutes with absurdly
   slack octaves early in the lute re-Renaissance, as they were
   functionally useless; the overspun basses already being so overly heavy
   on the harmonics. Until we started seriously playing with gut basses we
   didn't even actually know the true purpose of the octave strings. (I
   know I didn't!) We now know that the gut octaves must be the same
   tension as the fundamentals for the whole system to work sonically &
   intonationally.
     But if those new ones really are going flat going up the neck, yes
   that's a deal breaker on any fingered bass courses. I have not yet
   tried the new CD loadeds- it sure seems counter intuitive that the
   thick string would go flat as it frets up the fingerboard (if it is not
   false!). Too flexible- very interesting- are we stringing to loosely? I
   remember attempting to use thick, stiff, low twist harp strings back in
   the 1970's for lute basses- what a disaster!
   Any other experiences from players using these? Not willing to pull the
   trigger yet for 7 B-lute bass strings and 4 10 course lute bass strings
   until this is sorted out.
   Dan