Jaroslaw
I do agree with you and the study of past mentalities and culture has been my
daily bread for the last 35 years or so. I know exactly what you are talking
about..
Let’s leave it here as you suggested in your email and thank you for your very
well informed contribution.
All the best,
Jean-Marie

> Le 7 févr. 2018 à 21:56, Jarosław Lipski <jaroslawlip...@wp.pl> a écrit :
>
> Jean-Marie,
>
> This is a vast subject for a long debate. To judge a man’s behaviour from
> 17th century and predict probability of its consequences is not a trivial
> matter. As historian Miles Fairborn says that: „impossible, strange and
> bizarre are less so when placed in their proper context. This is one of the
> goals of the social historian - to endeavour to see the past from the
> native’s point of view.”
> In other words if we want to asses if certain facts which may seem shocking
> to people from 21st century would be also shocking 4 centuries ago, we would
> have to try to understand the reality that  people lived in then.
> Firstly, most man normally wore various types of weapon. One of the most
> commonly used swords in 17c was the rapier which had both military and
> civilian applications. In Europe rapier was a sword that civilians used to
> bring with them as regular attire. Gentleman wore rapiers to show signs of
> rank. The more embellished the sword was, the richer and more noble you were.
> It was also used for duelling. By the end of the 17th century it was turned
> into a small sword. This change began around 1630’s, and small swords were
> considered fashionable to wear. Swords were elegant instruments of death that
> were a symbol of power to anyone who owned one. The gentleman that did have
> swords as part of their daily attire, probably wanted to benefit from the
> elegance and power that was present in the sword. Many civilians used daggers
> as a symbol of prestige and honour. Stilettos (Italian dagger) were developed
> for self-protection.  Some of them had blades that divide into 3 sections at
> p!
 us!
> h of a button. They were known as duelling daggers and were invented in
> France. Also it wasn’t uncommon for civilians to also own pistols, which were
> used for various reasons. Apart from this, one could encounter armed soldiers
> and guards either on streets or in taverns.
> Another important factor were drinking habits in 17th century. We don’t
> realise that most of the rivers resembled sewage. There was no filters,
> ecology etc. So, all impurities went directly to the water. In consequence
> people drank only spring water, rainwater, or alcohol. As spring and
> rainwater was rather difficult to get, people normally drank big amounts of
> alcohol. Mostly some kind of an ale, beer or wine. Stronger alcohols were
> used for special occasions. I didn’t realise how much they drank until I saw
> Bach’s receipt from an Inn were he stayed overnight.
> Another important factor is their acquaintance with death. Public executions
> were very much a spectator sport for all classes of society. Execution always
> guaranteed to draw huge crowds.
> The legal system that we take for granted nowadays, did not exist yet.
> Usually your betters were your law.
> So, now imagine that you enter an Inn were almost every man is armed, drunk
> to some degree, and law doesn’t protect you. If one of them have high level
> of testosterone, and big ego, a problem is imminent. There is plenty of
> reports from these times on such occasions. Some more drastic, some less. One
> of them happened in Erfurt were Bach wanted to be employed.
> In Hartung, Hauser-Chronik der Stadt Erfurt we read:
> „In 27 February 1635, it had happened that a citizen named Hans Rothlander,
> had taken a soldier into his house. He persuaded the town musicians, to play
> to him to amuse him, because the master was his godfather. When they were all
> tolerably drunk the soldier, who was a cornet from Jena, stretched himself on
> the bench and fell asleep. Rothlander’s wife roused him, intending to dance
> with him. He started from his sleep, crying out - What, is the enemy upon
> us?. Then he snatched up the brass candlestick, and gave the man nearest to
> him 3 wounds in the head and a gash in the cheek, thus extinguishing the
> light. Then he seized his sword, and stabbing backwards, pierced another
> through and through; he clutched a musician from Schmalkalden, who was a
> superior player, and stuck him through the body so that he died twelve hours
> after, and was buried in the churchyard of the Kaufmanns-Kirche.” Actually
> this sad incident was fortunate for Bach as the master of the guild perishe!
 d !