   good name and comparable use, but the obligato parts in Matthew and
   John to be for b-lute. Makes sense when you look at the parts.
   David
   On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 at 21:22, Stephan Olbertz
   <[1]stephan.olbe...@web.de> wrote:

     Yes, so it should read
     "the part was [very probable] not conceived for archlute but rather
     [the baroque lute, or possibly even] the mandora [although we have
     no evidence for the mandora to be used as an obbligato instrument in
     Saxony]"
     Regards
     Stephan
     -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
     Von: [2]lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu
     [mailto:[3]lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] Im Auftrag von Howard Posner
     Gesendet: Montag, 19. März 2018 20:39
     Cc: [4]lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
     Betreff: [LUTE] Re: Betrachte meine Seel
     The only evidence available about Leipzig in the early 1700s is that
     the mandora/gallichon was the commonly used lute continuo
     instrument.   Bach's predecessor as thomaschule cantor, johann
     kuhnau, asked the town council for money to buy a couple of them so
     he wouldn't have to keep borrowing them.   Somebody, probably mr.
     Hodgson, has pointed out secondary sources that say the request was
     granted, though the sources on which they rely aren't clear on the
     point.
     Is anyone aware of evidence for archlutes in 18th-century Saxony?
     Sent from my iPhone