Am Sonntag, 29. Juli 2018 16:43 CEST, Ed Durbrow <edurb...@gmail.com> schrieb:

> I’m giving a talk on the lute next week and I was searching for a statistic
> about how much of the Renaissance lute repertoire consist of intabulations.
> Also, I am looking for statistics (estimates really) of how many tabs there
> are and could have been and how many songs with in tabulation there are. I’ve
> heard that outside of the piano and possibly violin there is more lute music
> than for any other instrument. I want to back that up. If you could point me
> to some research or quotes somewhere on the Internet, I would be much obliged.

Your talk is in one week? Sounds like:

 https://i.redd.it/n8i4oh04h4cz.jpg

;-)

More serious: there can't be any such data - not only did only a rather small
sample of music survive the
turmoils of time, we have no idea how representative of the music played back
then our surviving material is.
The Capirola lute book explicitly admits that it tries to twist natural
selection ;-)
Were intabulations really that popular, or were they a good market item because
there production was so
time-consuming (and hence one would rather buy those and save time instead of
buying dances which could
be reproduced after some careful listening).
I've often heard claims about the volume of lute music, but I never found some
convincing data. I guess it's
mostly gut-feeling of lute players (who often don't know or neglect the fast
amount of organ intabulations).

Have fun with your lecture,

 Cheers, RalfD