On Jul 30, 2018, at 5:12 AM, Ralf Mattes <r...@mh-freiburg.de> wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 29. Juli 2018 16:43 CEST, Ed Durbrow <edurb...@gmail.com> schrieb:
>
>> I’m giving a talk on the lute next week and I was searching for a statistic
>> about how much of the Renaissance lute repertoire consist of intabulations.
>> Also, I am looking for statistics (estimates really) of how many tabs there
>> are and could have been and how many songs with in tabulation there are.
>> I’ve heard that outside of the piano and possibly violin there is more lute
>> music than for any other instrument. I want to back that up. If you could
>> point me to some research or quotes somewhere on the Internet, I would be
>> much obliged.
>
> Your talk is in one week? Sounds like:
>
> https://i.redd.it/n8i4oh04h4cz.jpg

Ha, ha. That is my usual method.
Actually, I’ve given talks before but it has been a while and the audience will
be musicians so I want to polish it up.

> More serious: there can't be any such data - not only did only a rather small
> sample of music survive the
> turmoils of time, we have no idea how representative of the music played back
> then our surviving material is.

There can only be estimates of what was. However, of the known pieces that
exist in museums and such, it is possible to classify and  count the numbers of
dances, intabulations and freely composed pieces. Someone must have hazarded a
guess. I’ve heard some of the guesses. I just can’t remember the number (was it
half or 1/3) and I want to see it in writing.

Maybe I’ll wait until the day before… :-)

Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan
http://www.youtube.com/user/edurbrow?feature=watch
https://soundcloud.com/ed-durbrow