You're right Jim,

and many paintings by renowned artists show bawdy stuff to back up your claim. Why would a musician not tackle the same stuff?
Also, in such dire times some fun would surely have been welcome.

I am surprised about the lack of common sense applied to history. These were not aliens, they were human beings, with sometimes very weird habits. Just like today.