As far as I remember, a lady walking with a lute in Venezia (XVIth
   century) was considered a prostitute.
   My 2 cents,
   Luca
   ---- On ven, 10 ago 2018 12:57:44 +0200
   r.turov...@gmail.com<r.turov...@gmail.com> wrote ----

   Lute in a brothel was a large Dutch sarcasm, lute being a symbol of
   domestic harmony in the baroque visual symbolism.
   Sent from my iPhone
   <[1]al...@musickshandmade.com> wrote:

   > There is a piece in Dd.2.11 entitled: "Catin" (by Orlando di Lasso!).
   Yesterday I saw one entitled "la pute". What are the odds that neither
   title would not refer to their modern meaning of "prostitute"?
   > This also reminds me of the not so secret behind "green sleeves".
   Dutch paintings show many scenes of lute music with at least hints of
   seduction or prostitution.