An Alman written for the lute by Robert Johnson set for the stump (a sort of
theorboed lute) by FP.
On Fri, 21/12/18, Alain Veylit <al...@musickshandmade.com> wrote:

 Subject: [LUTE] Re: stump?
 To: "LuteNet list" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
 Date: Friday, 21 December, 2018, 17:43

 ‘Alman R. Johnson to the stump by F.P.’:
 odd to mention the instrument maker's name... Not that they
 don't deserve it, but it was not common practice. Could
 "F.P." be Francis Pilkington and the stump a type of music
 piece, maybe a ground?

 On 12/21/18 4:32 AM, Ed Durbrow wrote:
 > I’d like to see that Johnson
 work. Sounds perfect (almost) for an archlute.

 Rainer <rads.bera_g...@t-online.de>
 wrote:

 >> New Grove:
 >>
 >> An English plucked instrument
 of the early 17th century. It is known only by name and by
 one surviving piece of music (GB-Och Mus.532), headed
 ‘Alman R. Johnson to the stump by F.P.’ (ed. A.
 Sundermann, Robert Johnson: Complete Works for Solo Lute,
 London, 1972). This is written in six-line French tablature
 and shows that the stump had seven fingered string courses
 tuned like a Renaissance lute, with eight extra bass
 diapasons.

 >> Rainer
 >>
 >> On 18.12.2018 21:03, Leonard
 Williams wrote:

  I saw in an older Lute News supplement that Pilkington
 (possibly)
 >>>     composed a
 piece for the stump.  Can anyone enlighten me about
 what
 >>>     sort of
 instrument that was?
 >>>     Thanks, and