   From: Martyn Hodgson <hodgsonmar...@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   To: LuteNet list <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>; Alain Veylit
   <al...@musickshandmade.com>
   Sent: Sat, Dec 22, 2018 4:09 am
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: stump?
   An Alman written for the lute by Robert Johnson set for the stump (a
   sort of theorboed lute) by FP.
   To: "LuteNet list" <[2]lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Date: Friday, 21 December, 2018, 17:43
   âAlman R. Johnson to the stump by F.P.':
   odd to mention the instrument maker's name... Not that they
   don't deserve it, but it was not common practice. Could
   "F.P." be Francis Pilkington and the stump a type of music
   piece, maybe a ground?
   On 12/21/18 4:32 AM, Ed Durbrow wrote:
   > I'd like to see that Johnson
   work. Sounds perfect (almost) for an archlute.

   Rainer <[3]rads.bera_g...@t-online.de>
   wrote:

   >> New Grove:
   >>
   >> An English plucked instrument
   of the early 17th century. It is known only by name and by
   one surviving piece of music (GB-Och Mus.532), headed
   âAlman R. Johnson to the stump by F.P.' (ed. A.
   Sundermann, Robert Johnson: Complete Works for Solo Lute,
   London, 1972). This is written in six-line French tablature
   and shows that the stump had seven fingered string courses
   tuned like a Renaissance lute, with eight extra bass
   diapasons.

   >> Rainer
   >>
   >> On 18.12.2018 21:03, Leonard
   Williams wrote:

     I saw in an older Lute News supplement that Pilkington
   (possibly)
   >>>     composed a
   piece for the stump.  Can anyone enlighten me about
   what
   >>>     sort of
   instrument that was?
   >>>     Thanks, and