> On May 26, 2019, at 1:48 AM, Alain Veylit <al...@musickshandmade.com> wrote:
>
> The negociations for Elizabeth to marry Francis finally failed in 1582, 15
> years before the First book of songes was published. There is no mention in
> "Now o Now" of how ugly Francis was (dwarfish, with severe scars from the
> small pox). I don't see how English poets of the time could have skipped over
> the opportunity to revile a French suitor to their queen based on his
> physical appearance. If the Frog galliard were entitled the Toad galliard,
> your theory might hold some water...
>
> Jokes aside, 15 years is a long time in politics (even in those days), and
> the complete absence of satirical content in the lyrics of the song cast a
> doubt on that theory in my opinion.
>
> At the time Dowland published the First book of songs, Queen Elizabeth would
> have been 64, a ripe old age beyond any sort of romantic inclination and
> possibly touchy if anyone dared harp on it …

Anyone who considered the Queen and her suitor a subject of satire--or indeed
much of anything else—would be taking a grave risk.  We’re not talking about
Stephen Colbert and Donald Trump here.

In 1579 a Puritan named John Stubbs wrote "The Discovery of a Gaping Gulf
whereunto England is like to be swallowed by another French Marriage, if the
Lord forbid not the banns, by letting her Majesty see the sin and punishment
thereof,” a pamphlet arguing against the marriage of Elizabeth and Anjou
because the 46-year-old queen, too old to bear children, had no need to marry,
and the marriage could lead to restoration of Catholicism, which would destroy
English liberty, including freedom of speech.  He wrote that the marriage would
be "an immoral union, an uneven yoking of the clean ox to the unclean ass, a
thing forbidden in the law” [i.e., Deuteronomy 22:10] and a "more foul and more
gross" union that would incur God’s anger, leaving the English "pressed down
with the heavy loins of a worse people and beaten as with scorpions by a more
vile nation."

Stubbs and the publisher, William Page, were found guilty of "seditious
writing", and had their right hands cut off, somewhat undercutting the argument
about protecting free speech.  Just before the sentence was carried out, with a
crowd of people watching, Stubbs said, "Pray for me now [that] my calamity is
at hand,” securing for himself a place in the Smartass Hall of Fame.