On 14.09.2016 00:37, Douglas Ray via luv-main wrote:
On 12/09/16 9:49 AM, Ray via luv-main wrote:
I am just about to get this installed and I wonder if anyone has any exprience of setting this up. The ISP concerned uses PPPOE, would the standard debian install using the ISP's given login name and password be all that is required. I assume nameserver setup would be transparent similiar to using "usepeerdns" in a PPP set up.

any bandwidth-limited connection would be better with
a local caching dns server, forwarding to the peer dns.

I don't know how that translates to debian.

Douglas

I am using pdnsd as a local cacheing from a sugestion from Russel Coker, this turned out to be a real excellent sugestion as it sped up page loading no end (this was on dialup). I will keep this setup as it will almost certainly be a good step forward on satelite given its latency issues.

Note: The satelite dish and modem was installed last monday, ie more than a week ago and I have as yet not done anything as I still have plenty of data left on my current account. Also the modem was installed a good distance from my current firewall (access was far easier) and I did not have a long enough cat 6 cable.