On Wednesday, 12 October 2016 1:31:33 AM AEDT Craig Sanders via luv-main
wrote:
> the only time i've ever seen something similar was my own stupid fault,
> i rebooted and just pulled out the old SSD forgetting that I had ZIL
> and L2ARC for the pools on that SSD.  I had to plug the old SSD back in
> before I could import the pool, so i could remove them from the pool
> (and add partitions from my shiny new SSDs to replace them).

Did you have to run "zfs import" on it or was it recognised automatically?  If
the former how did you do it?  Is the initramfs configured to be able to run
zfs import?

> not so bold these days, it works quite well and reliably. and i really
> want to be able to snapshot my rootfs and backup with zfs send rather
> than rsync.

BTRFS snapshots are working well on the root filesystems of many systems I
run.  The only systems I run without BTRFS as root are systems where getting
console access in the event of problems is too difficult.

> the zfs root on my main system is two mirrored pairs (raid-10) of
> crucial mx300 275G SSDs(*). slightly more expensive than a pair of
> 500-ish GB but much better performance....read speeds roughly 4 x SATA
> SSD read (approximating pci-e SSD speeds), write speeds about 2 x SATA
> SSD.
>
> i haven't run bonnie++ on it yet.  it's on my todo list.

If you had 2*NVMe devices it would probably give better performance than
4*SATA and might be cheaper.  That would also leave more SATA slots free.

> we're just on the leading edge of some massive drops in price/GB. a bit
> earlier than I was predicting, i though we'd start seeing it next year.
> wont be long before 2 or 4TB SSDs are affordable for home users (you can
> get 2TB SSDs for around $800 now). and then I can replace some of my HDD
> pools.

It's really changing things.  For most users 2TB is more than enough storage
even for torrenting movies.  I think that spinning media is going to be mostly
obsolete for home use soon.

> > I agree that those things need to be improved.  There should be a way
> > to get to a root login while the 90 second wait is happening.
>
> so there really is no way to do that?  i was hoping it was just some
> trivially-obvious-in-hindsight thing that i didn't know.

https://wiki.debian.org/systemd#Debugging

According to the above Wiki page you can give a kernel command-line parameter
for a root shell.  However that uses tty9 (which isn't available on serial
consoles), has no password (you can't have it enabled all the time with
hostile console access), and has to be switched on in advance.

I don't know if there is a way to do what you and I want.  But there is a way
to do something that will get us by in most situations.

> it's really annoying to have to wait and watch those damn stars when you
> just wnat to get a shell and start investigating & fixing whatever's
> gone wrong.

Absolutely.

> > There should be an easy and obvious way to display those binary logs
> > from the system when it's not running systemd or from another system
> > (IE logs copied from another system).
>
> yep. can you even access journald logs if you're booted up with a rescue
> disk? (genuine question, i don't know the answer but figure it's one of
> the things i need to know)

From a quick read of the man page it appears that the -D option to journalctl
might do what we want.  It appears that Debian has moved to not having the
binary journals so I don't have a conveniant source of test data.