On Tuesday, 29 November 2016 1:47:47 PM AEDT Craig Sanders via luv-main wrote:
> > *That Linux Users of Victoria apply to become a subcommittee of
> > Linux Australia and conditional upon acceptance, wind up the present
> > Victorian association as per rule 76 and section 133 of the Act and
> > transfer all members and assets to the newly formed subcommittee of
> > Linux Australia.*
>
> Are there any details (or at least a reasonable summary) of this
> proposal available anywhere? and a rationale for why it has been
> proposed?
>
> what are the arguments for and against?

IMHO there is no good argument against.

The first argument for is that it saves us money on insurance for public
events.  While we are covered for the main meetings and we have got special
case coverage for some other meetings from LA in the past it is easier to just
be officially part of LA and have it all sorted out.

We have ongoing issues in getting people to volunteer for committee positions.
Reducing the amount of committee work by avoiding all statutory requirements
of being a formally registered society is a benefit.  I would like to have the
committee concentrate on the core business of LUV which is arranging events to
educate people about Linux and related computer science/engineering and
promoting Linux.  Complying with government regulations for paperwork takes
time and energy we just don't have to spare.

We are currently losing money consistently albeit slowly.  For some time
donations have not been keeping up with expenses.  The difference between
donations and expenses is small enough that LA are prepared to cover the
difference.  This isn't going to be an immediate problem for some years but
again I'd like to remove that as an issue for the committee to be concerned
about.  As an aside avoiding some expenses with paperwork will help in
reducing the financial shortfall every year.

> if the LUV lists and meetings continue as before and there's no risk of
> losing autonomy, just easing of the administrative overhead then I can't
> see any reason to object.

We will have a committee elected by LUV members to arrange meetings etc.  The
meetings will be in the same locations (unless we get a better offer).  The
same topics will be discussed at meetings, and hopefully we will have more
energy to spend on finding good speakers.  The same server will be used for
hosting the LUV mailing lists, web site, and other resources.

There won't be a change that will be apparent to most users.  I'm hoping for a
statistical increase in the number of speakers we find, but that won't be
immediately obvious.