On 05/03/18 22:46, Andrew Greig wrote:
> Do I need to rebuild my installation or can I add a software RAID at any
> time by downloading the correct packages?  Are there any documents that
> are particularly helpful on set up and partitioning? I imagined a single
> partition and call it /data.

My ext4 partition is also called /data and I then softlink other
directories onto that partition as required.  Yes, you can add it at any
time - you only need the "mdadm" package, although it's also possible to
set up mirroring using LVM, btrfs or ZFS if you prefer.

The way I did it is to physically install the new drives, partition
them, use mdadm to set up a RAID-1 mirror, and then finally create a
filesystem on the mirror volume.  In the old days I used to use the
device names for the RAID component partitions and the mirror volume,
but now I recommend using UUIDs for both to ensure everything will work
correctly regardless of any changes to the device names.

You can find the instructions with "man mdadm", and that points you to
https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/ if you need even more information.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
        Andrew