On 7/03/2018 12:45 PM, Nic Baxter wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I host a number of domains on a Centos 7 VPS. Now I am setting up a
> VPS with only one domain hosted. I am trying to get my head around
> issues with naming especially regarding RDNS and a mail server. Should
> I name the server host.domain.com or just domain.com?
>
> Cheers
>
> Nic

Each type of service (if there going to be separated) should have its
own hostname. The domain should then be pointed a one particular host
for the website.

Website should be
domain.com resolves to host.domain.com

For mail you would point the MX records at a hostname, this hostname
should have a RDNS records that matches the MX record.

ie mail.domain.com -> 10.10.10.10 r-> mail.domain.com.
note if you do not have control of the rdns but the domain does have a
record which resolves forward and reverse you can use this in the MX record.

An example of this is my home static address
ppp???-??.static.internode.on.net -> 203.???.???.57 r->
ppp224-57.static.internode.on.net

So in this case you could use ppp???-??.static.internode.on.net for the
MX record.

If you more something explained in more detail just say.

Cheers
Mike