Hello Andrew,

On 2/22/19, Andrew Greig via luv-main <luv-main@luv.asn.au> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have purchased a new 1Tb SSD and I have two unused SATA 2Tb drives,
> and currently 8Gb RAM (max capacity 32Gb DDR3 1866) I will settle for
> 24Gb soon.
>
> I have two optical drives, I will settle for one.
>
> MB = ASRock 890 GM Pro3 5 sata slots
>
> Currently the optical drive is in slot one
>
> So I will order my installation for the SSD in slot one and the optical
> in slot 5 slots 2 and 3 are for the 2 x SATA 2Tb drives, slot 4 will be
> for my old and now full Sata 1 Tb drive.l
>
> I will back-up my Thunderbird profile(s) to a USB stick for easy restore
> when the new system is running.

Copy/back up all your home directory structure to something big
enough, preferably more than one copy. Consider a USB hard drive, USB
memory sticks are good, but my experience is that they can fail
unexpectedly. They make a reasonable short term storage, and for not
critical material. Some last better. The other thing is to burn copies
to optical media, carefully done, choosing the right disks, that can
be an archival storage.

> Question - Should I choose Ubuntu 18.04 LTS or install 18.10 which will
> need an upgrade at the end of July?
>
> Question: To set up my SSD for root and the other two drives as RAID 1
> mounted as /home, is it simply a matter of choosing btrfs?  I haven't
> built a Ubuntu Server before.

I have used Ubuntu, quite a while back. These days, Debian, with an
interest in  the derivatives that go away from systemd. The Debian
installer has made big strides of progress, and very effective.
Whichever way you go, before you restore any of your backed up data,
look at how it went and be prepared to redo as a learning experience
if it makes a mess. Minor problems are a different challenge, learning
to rectify helps with other skills for when you are up and running.

> Any "gotcha's"?

>From your discussion, learn and understand what options the BIOS/UEFI
offers, and the implications as to which drives it will look at for
booting. Understand that a drive, any drive is a bit bucket. It needs
the partitions as a logical data structure for dividing it up,
although that relaxes with BTRFS. Then there are the higher level data
structures in the partition that allocate particular addresses to
particular files. You do not need a detail understanding such that you
can look at the raw data and understand, but enough of the logical
framing that the bits fit together in your mind.

A basic Debian install is very flexible, it can do server and/or
desktop, depending on what you add on top. I am certain Craig and
Russell can comment on exactly the sane choices to make, with small
detail variations of preference between them. The differences can look
bigger than they are, do some research and read up about what the
various filesystems offer. Craig has made some very pertinent remarks
about the implications.

> Andrew Greig
>   and thanks very much to Craig Sanders for his consistent support. I
> think the "scorched earth" approach may fix all of my earlier confusion.
> If I get stuck in the install I will write from my notebook.

Regards,

Mark Trickett