On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 08:18:59PM +1100, Morrie Wyatt via luv-main wrote:
> The ECC warnings just mean that either your motherboard doesn't support ECC
> error correcting RAM, or that you don't have ECC RAM installed.

AFAIK, you see it when the motherboard supports ECC RAM but you only have
non-ECC RAM installed - the kernel doesn't even try to load the ECC module
unless it detects that the hardware is capable of ECC.

I see this warning all the time on my machines (all with AMD CPUs - currently
a Phenom II 1090T, an FX-8150 and an FX-8320, and a Threadripper 1950x).

As you say, it's not something to worry about unless, of course, you KNOW you
paid extra for ECC RAM and it SHOULD be detected :)

ECC RAM typically costs at least 30% more than non-ECC RAM and it's typically
not available in stock in most whitebox computer shops, it's a special
request you have to go out of your way to ask for or find - so, unless you've
re-purposed an old server machine, it's not likely to be something that
someone has and doesn't know about.

> Typically you will only find ECC support on server motherboards, not
> comsumer level motherboards.

Most AMD motherboards supporting Phenom II, FX or newer CPUs support both ECC
and non-ECC RAM. i.e. since at least 2008 or so.

Intel motherboards and CPUs typically don't support ECC unless you've bought
a "server" motherboard and CPU.  Intel likes to engage in artificial market
segmentation to prevent customers from using cheaper CPUs and motherboards for
what they consider to be high-end server tasks. because near-monopoly allows
them to get away with shit like that.

craig

--
craig sanders <c...@taz.net.au>