On Sunday, 19 January 2020 3:47:00 PM AEDT Craig Sanders via luv-main wrote:
> NVME SSDs are **much** faster then SATA SSDs.  SATA 3 is 6 Gbps (600 MBps),
> so taking protocol overhead into account SATA drives max out at around 550
> MBps.
>
> NVME drives run at **up to** PCI-e bus speeds - with 4 lanes, that's a
> little under 40 Gbps for PCIe v3 (approx 4000 MBps minus protocol
> overhead), double that for PCIe v4.  That's the theoretical maximum speed,
> anyway. In practice, most NVME SSDs run quite a bit slower than that, about
> 2 GBps - that's still almost 4 times as fast as a SATA SSD.
>
> Some brands and models (e.g. those from samsung and crucial) run at around
> 3200 to 3500 MBps, but they cost more (e.g. a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS
> (MZ-V7S1T0BW) costs around $300, while the 1TB Kingston A2000
> (SA2000M8/1000G) costs around $160 but is only around 1800 MBps).

Until recently I had a work Thinkpad with NVMe.  That could sustain almost
5GB/s until the CPU overheated and throttled it (there was an ACPI bug that
caused it to falsely regard 60C as a thermal throttle point instead of 80C).

But when it came to random writes the speed was much lower, particularly with
sustained writes.  Things like upgrading a Linux distribution in a VM image
causes sustained write rates to go well below 1GB/s.

The NVMe interface is good, but having a CPU and storage that can sustain it
is another issue.