On Monday, 20 January 2020 2:34:09 AM AEDT Craig Sanders via luv-main wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 05:38:23PM +1100, russ...@coker.com.au wrote:
> > Generally I recommend using BTRFS for workstations and servers that have 2
> > disks.  Use ZFS for big storage.
>
> Unless you need to make regular backups from workstations or small servers
> to a "big storage" ZFS backup server. In that case, use zfs so you can use
> 'zfs send'.  Backups will be completed in a very small fraction of the time
> they'd take with rsync....the time difference is huge - minutes vs hours.
> That's fast enough to do them hourly or more frequently if needed, instead
> of daily.

It really depends on the type of data.  Backing up VM images via rsync is slow
because they always have relatively small changes in the middle of large
files.  Backing up large mail spools can be slow as there's a significant
number of accounts with no real changes as well as a good number of accounts
with only small changes (like the power users who have 10,000+ old messages
stored and only a few new messages at any time because they delete most mail
soon after it arrives).  But even for those corner cases rsync will work if
your data volume isn't too big.  For other cases it works pretty well.

I guess you have to trade off the features of using one filesystem everywhere
vs the ability to run filesystems independently of what applications will run
on top.  I like the freedom to use whichever filesystem best suits the server.