I have had similar thoughts on disk abstraction - especially the exposure
of underlying features like snapshots to higher abstraction layers.  So for
example it should be possible for a filesystem to implement git like
concurrency management using ZFS snapshots... if only the various layers
between the application (git) and the underpinning file system (ZFS) oculd
expose appropriate capabilities up and down the stack.  (and if you do ti
right, you don't need to care what the technology is at any given layer.)

Dr Paul van den Bergen