On Monday, 6 September 2021 14:52:26 AEST Edward Savage via luv-main wrote:
> Thinking about my own domain of distributed containerised computing, from
> this perspective, it’s odd to me that Kubernetes, Operators[1], and all of
> the Custom Resources[2] we manage with them are run entirely in userspace.
> Really, it could be argued that we’re running jobs on a scheduler on top of
> the already capable system scheduler just to add a handful of features to
> manage the container runtimes that are already being managed by the same
> system scheduler.  And you know, if someone really took me to task, as the
> speaker might, I think I'd really struggle to justify why this is a
> rational design.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenMosix
https://linuxpmi.org/trac/

Sounds like you want something conceptually similar to OpenMosix or LinuxPMI,
both of which seem to be dead.

On Monday, 6 September 2021 16:54:57 AEST Paul van den Bergen via luv-main
wrote:
> example it should be possible for a filesystem to implement git like
> concurrency management using ZFS snapshots... if only the various layers
> between the application (git) and the underpinning file system (ZFS) oculd

How would that work?  ZFS snapshots are at a subtree basis while git is at a
fiel basis.  The underlying mechanisms of ZFS or BTRFS could be used for git
like functionality (eg the "cp --reflink" mechanism) and I guess the
filesystem could be changed to do more of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_ClearCase

ClearCase did things like that, I used it about 25 years ago.  It allows you
to check out files and have a directory tree that matches your files.  It was
powerful but difficult to use for newbies.  It was expensive enough that few
people used it.