On Monday, 19 December 2022 08:59:36 AEDT Brian May via luv-main wrote:
> It really depends on your use case... For servers I prefer a stable that
> I don't have to keep updating. For desktops, more likely to need newer
> stuff. Especially for drivers, etc. which may not always work correctly
> otherwise.

Having a stable/server version and a quickly updated desktop version is
standard practice for distributions.  For Debian there's Testing vs Stable
releases, for Red Hat there's RHEL vs Fedora, for Ubuntu there's the
enterprise versions released in April on even numbered years and the home user
versions released between them.

I think the real issues are the amount of software packaged for the
distribution, the amount of software from 3rd parties in packages for it, and
the ease of packaging software yourself.  I've found Debian to be very good
for the range of packaged software and Ubuntu to be quite good and for 3rd
party packages Ubuntu and RHEL are really good and Debian is quite OK because
Ubuntu packages can be made to work with a little effort.  For creating your
own packages I've found Debian to be easier.

> I have been hearing good things about NixOS. My understanding is there
> is a bit of a learning period before you can be really productive with
> it. Which has been my stumbling point so far.

NixOS has less software available and does things in a very different way to
Debian/RHEL/etc.  NixOS can provide benefits for some specific use cases, but
those don't map well to general purpose Internet servers IMHO.  Also has NixOS
got security support in the last few years?