Hey everyone,

Some of you already know me, and I hope you're doing well!

As I'm currently between roles, Rodney suggested the LUV jobs service to me. 
However, it looks like the jobs mailing list was recently closed, so hopefully 
it's okay for me to put out some feelers on main instead :)

I'm based in Loch Sport. I moved here last year under the impression I'd have 
100% remote work forever after. Unfortunately, that was a bit premature and the 
remote work prospects seem to be drying up lately :P Oops.

I do really love it here though, so any more remote work I can find soon would 
be awesome. Needing to sell up and relocate again would absolutely break my 
heart. I will even consider part time or junior work right now. Low-bureaucracy 
roles preferred, so I can keep using my custom workstations without worrying 
about ISO-27001 or IRAP style compliance checkboxing.

Well, enough of the sob story. The real question on your mind is why should 
someone hire me? I'll send a CV on request, but in the meantime here are the 
elevator pitches:

* Nearly ten years operating Ubuntu Server fleets for OpenStack and HPC. Most 
recently in so-called neo-clouds, I've got strong experience with most 
OpenStack services and their supporting infrastructure such as VLANs, Ceph, 
OVS, Mariadb/MySQL, Bind9, Prometheus, Grafana, NetBox, Puppet, Ansible, 
Terraform, Jenkins, Gerrit and GitHub Actions. I've dealt with a wide variety 
of hardware including Dell, SuperMicro, Asus, HPE and OctoMiner, with Mellanox 
cards and up to 8x NVIDIA cards at once, with NVLinks and SR-IOV. I've done 
plenty of deployments with MAAS and orchestrated the warranties of so much 
faulty hardware you just wouldn't believe. I can script IPMITool and Redfish.

* I've been devoted to Linux since 2008, and have built up a deep knowledge of 
all the sysadmin "primitives" such as shell scripting, namespaces, OpenSSH, 
device manager, filesystems, IPtables, dnsmasq, iproute2, kernel memory 
management, Git, C programming, jq, LMod and the GNU ecosystem. I'm great at 
applying my knowledge of these primitives to engineer minimalistic, robust and 
reproducible systems and pipelines. I'm also an official GNU maintainer and, as 
an extra flex, everything in my SOHO (including my custom router) runs Gentoo 
BTW.

* I'm a STEM/HASS jack-of-all-trades with a background in Mathematics & 
Statistics and a wide variety of side interests. I bust silos and learn fast. 
If you're wondering whether I can do something you have in mind, the real 
question is "when can I start?"

* Awesome remote work setup: two redundant workstations so I can keep working 
in event of hardware failure, and business-tier 1000/400 fttp. Lots of 
experience with remote collaboration including Slack, Teams and Zoom. I never 
suffer the audio or video issues that plague basically everyone else in online 
calls. I also cultivate strong remote work cultures based on kind, clear and 
regular communication, and engineering discipline.

* I've got an ABN so could do contract gigs if that's preferred.

I hope you'll reach out if you want someone who will hit the ground running and 
start getting things done without any BS as soon as you add my ssh keys to your 
servers. If you added my ssh keys yesterday, I could have been deploying 
solutions to production today ;)

I'm also open to meeting up with anyone around the 
Morwell/Traralgon/Sale/Bairnsdale area if you just feel like a coffee. I have 
daily fresh hot takes on AI as well as all your old time favorite holy wars! So 
ping me if you're around :)

And feel free to connect on LinkedIn if that's how you roll: 
https://www.linkedin.com/in/timothy-rice-45641329b/

Thanks for your patience with this email, hopefully it's not too much noise for 
this list!


Kind regards,


Tim Rice

_______________________________________________
luv-main mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]

Reply via email to