Hey Russell!

> We recently did a reorganisation of the lists and the luv-jobs list was
> removed because it had hardly any traffic and hardly any subscribers.  There
> are some topics where a small number of people is sufficient, but for jobs
> most employers won't hiring at any given time and the ones that are might not
> have a fit for your skills.  So quantity is very important for jobs.

Yep, that's totally fair.


> It sucks the way the government is trying to prop up real estate companies by
> encouraging office based work.  Especially when we have world-wide fuel
> shortages and driving to work is extremely inefficient for petrol vehicles.

Not just fuel, but also time and opportunities to get out of renting. I used to 
spend an hour and a half each day just to get between Pasoce Vale and 
University of Melbourne, and had to rent since I don't think I can pay off a 
one million dollar house before I'm dead. Working remotely allows spending that 
commute time on mentally recharging, and at least for a while made buying seem 
viable, since I was no longer married to the city.

I could understand needing to be on site if there were a need for physical 
presence, eg data center work obviously. But when I can use async comms, Git, 
VPNs, and ssh to transcend time and space, expecting to chain me to a chair 
under painful fluoro lights in a distracting office from 9-5 (which is 
realistically more like 8-6 with commute) just seems perverse.


> But there are companies hiring for remote.  The last few positions I've been
> in discussions with over Linkedin have emphasised the remote component of the
> work up front.
> 
> Some of the positions I've been in discussions with have been advertised as
> partially remote work with the first few weeks on-site.  If I was in your
> situation I'd make plans around living in a motel for a few weeks at the start
> of employment and spending one week a month in a motel.  This of course
> depends on your personal situation, my health is fine for living in motels and
> I don't have any dependents who would suffer if I was away for a week but not
> everyone is in that situation.
> 
> I have idly considered actively seeking such work in places that are within a
> day's driving such as Canberra.  I try to avoid planes as much as possible, I
> have caught Covid19 once and that was on a work flight.

That's interesting. I don't have responsibilities like pets or dependents, so 
I'd be open to living away from home for a bit if travel and accommodation were 
paid for.


> What are you the GNU maintainer for?  Do you have an active Github account?
> 
> https://github.com/etbe
> 
> I've heard that some employers like to look at Github as part of the hiring
> process, I've never been into github and only use it when forced to do so.  It
> shows my PRs but I don't have projects there.  I have idly considered just
> putting a heap of stuff there to make it look impressive.
> 
> https://salsa.debian.org/users/etbe/projects
> 
> I have stuff in Salsa (the Debian git system) but I don't know if employers
> will be interested in that.  Maybe I'm just better off not working for a
> company that can't look at Salsa.

I'm lead maintainer for GNU Datamash, and on the books as a possible successor 
to Arnold Robbins for gawk. Possibly maintaining gawk in future is very 
intimidating, so I balked a bit at first, but one thing I'm doing during this 
downtime period is trying to become more active there.

I'm https://github.com/cryptarch on GitHub, but like you I don't have much on 
display there at the moment. I used to have a bunch of stuff, but I took it 
down eight years ago in protest over MicroSoft buying them out. I haven't got 
around to re-upping much, even though I'm now more resigned to the situation :P


> > Thanks for your patience with this email, hopefully it's not too much noise
> > for this list!
> 
> The problem we face with this list is lack of content.  So anything vaguely
> related to Linux goes at this time.  Hopefully after Phil's good work in
> fixing the list software we can get more discussion happening but even if/when
> that happens posts about Linux employment will remain on topic here.

Cool, thanks :)

~ Tim

_______________________________________________
luv-main mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]

Reply via email to