BTW: In a former project, we copied the newest data during migration,
and sent the old records later.

Migration time: select from <table> where id > <threshold>
Later: select from <table> where id <= <threshold>

The old records need to be there, I was told, so customers can see
them in a web portal, but they are not actively used in new
processing.

Thanks everyone
Peter

On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 4:08 PM Peter Ross <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> > Is your data using joins or views for the tables your migrating?
>
> Yes, so I think the proxy might not work.
>
> > https://mydumper.github.io/mydumper/docs/html/index.html
>
> That looks interesting. I will try that. Do you have experience with it?
>
> Regards
> Peter
>
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2026 at 7:24 PM Mike O'Connor <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Peter
> >
> > Is your data using joins or views for the tables your migrating? If not you 
> > could use a program like ProxySQL to allow the migration of single tables 
> > at a time.
> >
> > The other option are mydumper and myloader 
> > (https://mydumper.github.io/mydumper/docs/html/index.html)
> >
> > Not sure about others
> >
> > Mike
> >
> >
> > On 2026-09-28 4:37 pm, Peter Ross wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> > I am in a project where some bigger MySQL databases (250 GB+) need to
> > be migrated from MySQL 5.5 to MariaDB  10.11.
> >
> > Fun part on top:It's only part of the DB server, it holds databases
> > with nearly 2 TB altogether.
> >
> > A little bit uncertain how to do that.
> >
> > MySQL replication will not work between these versions, I think.
> >
> > I could snapshot the data directory but I don't think the data can be
> > used by MariaDB as it is?
> >
> > Mysqldumps will take very long (I could afford a few hours outage,
> > maybe 3 hours, but that's it).I did not try but I don't think that
> > will finish in time.
> >
> > Some Percona Tools, others?
> >
> > For any ideas thankful
> > Peter
> >
> > P.S. Hello everyone - it's been a while sinceI  was here :-)
> > _______________________________________________
> > luv-main mailing list -- [email protected]
> > To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]
> >
> >
_______________________________________________
luv-main mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]

Reply via email to